Pre-Thin and Polish TEM Samples
Save time on ion milling and improve sample quality by preparing your TEM samples with the Gatan Disc Grinder.
- Lightweight grinder reduces polishing pressure and specimen damage.
- Precise thickness control with ultra-fine thread and specimen drive screw pre-loading.
- Uniform thickness (5 µm accuracy) with large diameter polishing face wand precise specimen mount.
The Disc Grinder produces parallel sided samples quickly and easily, with mechanical polishing. The large micrometer dial displays the thickness in microns (µm).
Produce parallel-sided discs 50 µm thick, up to 9mm diameter.
Higher Quality TEM Samples
The quality of TEM specimens depends on the quality of the initial disc. Thinner, more uniform starting discs produce larger electron transparent areas. Common problems when trying to create thin discs are:
- Tapering cross-sections
- Sub-surface damage
- Poor control of thickness and uniformity
The Disc Grinder has been designed specifically to eliminate these problems:
- Large diameter polishing face and precisely fitting specimen mount, to keep the specimen parallel to the polishing surface.
- Ultra-fine thread and specimen drive screw pre-loading for thickness control.
- Limited maximum polishing pressure, to minimise sample damage.
- PIPS Precision Ion Polishing System
- PECS Precision Etching and Coating System
- Solarus advanced plasma cleaning system
- Disc punch
- Dimple grinder
- Ultrasonic cutter