In recent years X-ray Micro Computed Tomography (CT) has become established in the pharmaceutical industry as a vital analytical tool, enabling significant advances in product development, quality control and packaging.
Bruker’s SkyScan micro-CT instruments have been adopted by the world’s leading pharma companies, as well as academic research groups. They combine class-leading resolution and performance, with easy-to-use workflows.
Non-destructive 3D internal imaging – see inside your sample
Micro-CT, also referred to as X-Ray Microscopy (XRM), is widely used in areas such as:
- Compaction density (porosity, pore size, distribution)
- Identify stress-induced micro-cracks
- Measure coating thickness and uniformity
- Distribution of active ingredients (total volume and percent volume)
- In-situ compression testing
Packaging & Sealing
- Seal integrity – locate gaps and leaks
- Compare changes to optimise your processes
- Measure component variation from your suppliers
Final Product Inspection
- Check component alignment – without opening the packaging
- Detect defects
- Quantitative 3D measurements
- Pre- and post- usage performance tests
- High throughput scanning of medical devices
- Non-destructive investigation – see where and how the failure occurred
- Root cause analysis
- Archive digital information
Tablet scanned with the Bruker SkyScan 2214
Micro-CT for the Pharmaceutical Industries Brochure
Left: Paracetamol tablet – colour-coded by coating thickness. Taken with the Bruker SkyScan 1272.
High-throughput Micro-CT with a Sample Changer
Automated scanning to save time. Ideal for comparing large numbers of samples and for quality control.
Recorded Live Stream: An Inside Look at Pharmaceuticals and Medical Devices
See how X-ray microscopy’s used for non-destructibe product inspection and QA of pharmaceuticals and medical devices in Bruker’s live stream – available to watch on YouTube. The stream includes demos, discussion and more:
Bruker XRM Instruments
Blue Scientific is the official distributor of Bruker X-Ray Microscopy instruments in the UK, Denmark, Finland, Sweden, Iceland and Norway. We’re here to advise on which system would suit your research, and we also offer service and support.
Bruker SkyScan 1275
Fast, self-optimising benchtop scanner. High quality scans at the press of a button.
Bruker SkyScan 1272
Sub-micron resolution from a benchtop system. World’s first scanner with >200Mp in each cross-section.
Bruker SkyScan 2214
Multi-scale nano-CT for the widest range of object sizes/ resolutions.