Benchtop EPR with the Bruker e-scan
Benchtop EPR with the Bruker e-scan
EPR (Electron Paramagnetic Resonance, also known as Electron Spin Resonance) is a spectroscopic technique which detects unpaired electrons. EPR is the only method of scientific analysis that can directly and unambiguously detect free radicals.
The e-scan product line from Bruker is a series of easy-to-use, benchtop EPR spectrometers that make EPR technology more accessible, with analysers developed for specific, real-world applications.
Blue Scientific is the official distributor of benchtop EPR instruments from Bruker. If you have any questions or if you would like a quote, please get in touch:
What is EPR?
EPR spectroscopy is the only technique for unambiguously detecting and quantifying unpaired electrons. These include:
- Free radicals
- Many transition metals
- Defects in materials
Free radicals and transition metals are vital to many processes, including photosynthesis, oxidation/reduction, catalysis, and polymerisation.
EPR is relevant in a variety of fields, including medical science, biology, chemistry, physics, material science, archaeology and forensics. Most free radicals have damaging effects on their surroundings; they are involved in cancer, aging, Alzheimer’s and cardiovascular diseases. They can also contribute to degradation of material properties, eg brittleness and discolouration of polymers.
EPR is a versatile and non-destructive analytical method. It can be used to detect unpaired electrons in solids, liquids, gases, coloured and turbid solutions and cell suspensions. Data is acquired in a matter of seconds, with analysis providing useful information about the amount and identity of species present.
Science / Research Applications
- Free radical spin-trapping
- Directly detect free radicals (antioxidant-derived, polymer and organic)
- Monitor antioxidant activity
- Detect ROS (O2 ●−, ● OH, H2O2, ONOO−), RNS (NO, NOHb) and S-centered radicals
- Analyse ROS and Nitric oxide/Endothelium-derived relaxing factor in physiological samples
- Forensic science
- Archeological artefact dating
- Monitor asphaltene radicals and vanadium content in crude oil
- Shelf life analysis
- Measure antioxidant levels
- Accurate dose measurement from either alanine film or pellet
- Measure free radical srecombination during thermal annealing
Food and Feed
- Analyse edible oils with forced oxidation assay
- Pet food analysis
- Free radical content in solid foods (using heptane extraction)
- Antioxidant levels in tea, wine, coffee etc
- Introduction to basic EPR spectroscopy
- Analyse real life samples
- Quantitative EPR experiments
Bruker e-scan EPR spectrometer
The Bruker e-scan is a compact benchtop EPR spectrometer. A multi-purpose version is available, as well as dedicated analysers for specific real-world applications. The e-scan is a reliable EPR system, optimised for the best price-performance ratio.
- Easy to use – Automatic acquisition schemes and data evaluation, with user-friendly software, requiring minimal training.
- X-band research grade sensitivity
- Permanent magnet for high quality results, without the need for cooling water
- Robust – Suitable for laboratories and the factory floor
- Reliable – Proven rock-solid 24/7 operation
Multi-Purpose EPR – e-scanM
- Suitable for research, quality control and education.
- Automatic acquisition schemes, extensive data processing and efficient spectral simulations.
- Easy to use and learn.
Alanine Dosimeter Reader – e-scanA
- Complete quality control system for radiation processing.
- Fast, accurate dose measurements across 3 orders of magnitude.
- Bar-coded dosimeter film or pellet inserts for dose measurements from 20 Gy to 200 kGy.
- CFR21 part 11 compliant software for validated, audit traceable operation.
Liquid and Beverage Analyser – e-scanB
- Optimise oxidative shelf life in fermented beverages, juices and edible oils.
- Automated sample handling and analysis.
- Fully automated data acquisition, processing, reporting and storage.
Food Analyser – e-scanF
- Detection irradiation in foods containing cellulose and bone.
- Compliant with EU regulations.
- Exchange sample inserts easily, with permanent reference marker.
- Automatic sample ID, with customised barcodes.
Education – e-scanE
- Developed specifically for teaching environments.
- Suite of six experiments.
- Includes directions for teaching common EPR data acquisition and processing methods.
- Selection of samples included.
Blue Scientific is the official UK distributor of the Bruker e-scan. For further information, or if you have any questions, please get in touch: