Simple and Accessible SEM with ChemiSEM
A scanning electron microscope (SEM) involves a focused stream of electrons being projected over a surface to produce an image. The sample interacts with the electrons in the beam and this produces a range of signals that are used to gain information about the composition of the surface.
In this article, we discuss the benefits of SEM and how ChemiSEM is used in these applications.
Applications of SEM
Scanning electron microscopy is used in a range of commercial, research, and industrial applications, such as:
- Metal/ Failure Analysis – SEM in a helpful tool for conducting failure analyses of metallic and non-metallic components. It helps to ascertain the origin and characteristics of cracks or fractures.
- Particle Size Analysis – SEM is used for analyzing the size of particles and nanoparticles down to 1nm in size.
- Battery and Energy Storage – Using SEM, particles in batteries can be seen at the micrometer level.
- Materials Science – investigations into high-temperature superconductors, mesoporous architectures, alloy strength, nanotubes, and nanofibres all rely extensively on the use of SEMs for research and investigation.
- Semiconductor Inspection – SEMs produce high-resolution 3D images that allow for accurate measurements of semiconductor compositions.
- Biological Sciences – Measuring and testing animal tissues, bacteria, and viruses.
What is ChemiSEM?
The Axia ChemiSEM is an SEM-EDS instrument that is easy to use, flexible, and offers fast quantitative elemental analysis. It is unlike traditional SEMs because it collects EDS data in the background. The ChemiSEM then uses unique algorithms to process both signals at the same time. This offers the user the ability to see the morphology and quantitative elemental makeup of a sample combined in real-time.
The ChemiSEM technology offers an excellent user experience by automation such as SmartAlgin technology which allows for alignment-free operation. It also offers automatic functions and live EDS mapping, making it much faster than traditional SEM methods. All of these features combine to speed up workflow and decrease the time required for training.
Key Features of ChemiSEM
Excellent imaging performance – the ChemiSEM can handle a broad range of applications. It can insulate samples with low vacuum operation and provide high-fidelity imaging.
Easy Maintenance – Source exchange is easy and can be completed by users without specialist training. The simple design of the ChemiSEM leads to high uptime and fast serviceability.
Live Mapping – ChemiSEM provides live quantitative elemental mapping in half the time of standard technology.
Ease of Use – the ChemiSEM offers live, real-time compositional imaging so is easy to set up, allowing the user to stay focussed on data collection. The ChemiSEM has been expertly designed with industry in mind, with class-leading low cost of ownership.
Find Out More