Polymer Analysis with TD-NMR
Polymer Analysis with TD-NMR
TD-NMR (time domain NMR) is a fast and reliable method of analysing the physical and chemical properties of polymers, plastics and rubbers. The technique can be used in all steps of production:
- Raw material / educt characterisation
- Polymerisation / reaction kinetics
- Raw / unmodified polymer analysis
- Final product analysis and quality control
The Bruker minispec mq-one is a dedicated system for polymer analysis using TD-NMR. Blue Scientific is the exclusive distributor for Bruker TD-NMR in the UK and Ireland, and we are available to help with your queries. If you have any questions about your application or would like a quote, please get in touch.
What can you Measure?
For QC / QA:
- Xylene soluble and ethylene content in PP
- Density and crystallinity in PE
- Oil and rubber content in PS / ABS
Other polymer analysis:
- Cross-link density of elastomers
- Plasticisers, additives and monomer fractions in polymers
- Solid content of emulsions / latex
- Soft coatings on polymers
- Oil and water content
- Fluorine content
- Copolymer analysis and degree of polymerisation
- Effects of ageing and irradiation
Throughput can be increased with the minispec Sample Automation system, which features a 60 position sample changer, and completely automated tempering and measurement.
The automation system is manufactured by Bruker specifically for the minispec, for seamless integration with the TD-NMR analyser. An optional barcode reader is also available.
Advantages of TD-NMR for Polymer Analysis
- Fast analysis in less than a minute, usually just a few seconds.
- Only 3-5 samples required for instrument calibration (classic or chemometric calibration options).
- Faster, easier and more reliable results traditional chemical techniques.
- Easy to use for operation by floor personnel.
- Samples can be any type: liquid, powder, pellet, plate or film.
- Non-invasive, non-destructive analysis.
- Results are generated from the entire sample volume, so are unaffected by sample colour or surface.
- Adaptable to LIMS.
Polymer Process Control
In process control, TD-NMR analysis can be performed in-situ for a wide temperature range from -100 °C up to +200 °C. No dedicated laboratory is necessary, and samples can simply be measured as-is, without sample preparation. Analyse a variety of sample types, including pellets, powders and films. The measurement is not affected by colour, fillers or surface properties. Measurements take less than a minute, and are inherently quantitative and highly reproducible.
For research and development, the Bruker minispec mq series offers sophisticated tools for relaxation time and diffusion data treatment, including chemometric analysis or Inverse Laplace Transformations (CONTIN function). A wide temperature range is available, up to 200°C. The minispec can be configured for RF pulse attenuation and / or RF pulse shapes for demanding applications, eg T1ρ experiments. Retrofittable probes and dedicated systems are available for pulsed field gradient applications and diffusion analysis. Contact us to discuss which options would be best for your research.