New XPS Range from Thermo Scientific
We now offer the XPS range from Thermo Scientific. We’re proud to extend our partnership with them, which previously covered entry-level SEM, and now includes XPS in the UK, Sweden and Denmark.
What is XPS?
X-ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy (also known as ESCA, or Electron Spectroscopy for Chemical Analysis) is an advanced surface analysis technique. It quantifies not only the elemental composition of the surface, but also the chemical composition.
XPS is a highly surface-sensitive, quantitative, chemical analysis technique that can be used to solve a wide range of materials problems.
- Sampling depth: 5–10 nm from the top surface.
- Quantify all elements from Li upwards (except H and He).
- Quantitative chemical information
- Detection limit: ~ 0.1 At.%
- Combine with ion profiling for composition profileing of thin films and interfaces.
- Analyse the distribution of elements and chemical state with imaging mode.
Benefits of XPS
XPS is highly surface-sensitive. Data is collected from only the top few nanometres of the surface. This surface selectivity, paired with quantitative chemical state identification, makes XPS extremely useful in a wide range of applications.
XPS is a standardless technique, requiring no external calibration to obtain quantified results, and there is little or no sample preparation.
XPS can be used to analyse solid surfaces, thin films and interfaces. It’s currently employed in a wide range of applications in academia and industry, including R&D and quality control.
- Surface contaminant analysis.
- Ultra-thin film and oxide thickness measurements.
- Characterise surface defects, stains and discolouration.
- Measure the effect of surface preparation treatments.
- Powder and fibre composition.
- Chemical characterisation of plasma-modified polymer materials.
- Measure coating thickness and conformity.
- Composition depth profiling for multi-layer and interface analysis.
Thermo Scientific XPS Range
There are three systems in Thermo Scientific’s XPS range. We’re available to advise on which would best suit your work, and provide quotes and demonstrations:
- Compact, automated system.
- Designed to make XPS more accessible as a routine technique.
- Simple, intuitive operation without sacrificing performance.
- Ion source for depth profiling.
- More flexible system.
- Seamlessly integrates with other techniques including ISS (Ion Scattering Spectroscopy), UPS (UV Photoelectron Spectroscopy), REELS (Reflected Electron Energy Loss Spectroscopy and Raman.
- Options for in-situ heating and biasing.
- Dual-mode ion source for monatomic and cluster ion depth profiling.
- Highest resolution and performance.
- Multi-technique analysis, including ISS and REELS as standard.
- Unparalleled flexibility.
- In-situ heating and cooling, fracture stage and inert transfer.
- Extensive expansion options.
- Ion source for depth profiling, flood source for insulator analysis and optional dual mode ion source.
Blue Scientific is the official distributor of Thermo Scientific XPS systems in the UK, Sweden and Denmark. We’re available to answer all your questions – just get in touch: