New Gatan Latitude D Software for MicroED
Gatan’s new Latitude D is a software package for efficient, high-throughput data collection for microED studies on your TEM.
Latitude D is a new TEM software package from Gatan. It interfaces directly with Gatan cameras for microED (micro electron-diffraction) experiments.
Like Latitude S, it’s efficient and high-throughout, streamlining the acquisition of continuous diffraction tomography data. It leverages the functionality of Gatan cameras and imaging filters to make micro-crystal structure determination more accessible to researchers in your lab.
- Unmatched productivity: Screen diffraction images quickly to determine the best crystals for diffraction tomography.
- Adjust parameters as you go: Fine-tune and update workflow steps on the fly.
- Extensive task and session tracking: Comprehensive, real-time reporting of session tasks, including current and scheduled actions with timings.
On-site applications support and training is available to help optimise your workflow.
What is MicroED?
MicroED has become a popular technique for high-resolution structure determination of 3D crystals. It’s suitable for crystals that are much smaller than those required for X-ray crystallography.
The crystal is rotated continuously in the TEM while a high-speed camera records a series of diffraction patterns. The technique’s also known as continuous diffraction tomography.
The Latitude D interface guides you through experiment set-up and calibration routines. MicroED datasets are then automatically collected from only the best crystals.
- Prepare and load the specimen in your TEM.
- Screen the sample at low magnification to locate a suitable grid area.
- Identify good crystals at medium-range magnification, with low-electron dose conditions.
- Acquire a single-diffraction pattern from each promising crystal.
- Collect diffraction tomography data from each high-quality crystal.
Screen Crystals Before Imaging
With Latitude D you can screen crystals before imaging, to optimise your data acquisition and capture images from only the best crystals on the grid.
- Create an atlas:
2) Choose a grid square:
3) Select viable crystals:
4) Screen the diffraction pattern and the diffraction tomogram.
Blue Scientific is the official distributor of Gatan systems for electron microscopes in the Nordic region. We’re available to answer all your questions – just get in touch: